herald

Friday 22 June 2018

Family of tragic Ana call for 'sparkle and colour' at her funeral

Ana Kriegal
Ana Kriegal

The family of a young girl who was found dead at a derelict farmhouse in Dublin two weeks ago have asked for mourners to wear "sparkle and colour" to her funeral on Thursday.

Ana Kriegel (14) was reported missing early last week. Her body was found three days later in a property in Lucan.

A 13-year-old boy has been charged with the murder of the schoolgirl and is due to appear in court on Friday.

Details of Ana's funeral were released by the family yesterday.

The service "celebrating Ana's life" will take place in Newlands Cross Crematorium on Thursday, at 2.30pm.

"Ana loved sparkle and colour," the family said.

'Sparkle and colour' for Ana's funeral to celebrate her life

Donations

"The family wish for the dress code to reflect this.

"Family flowers only please. Donations, if desired, to the Russian Irish Adoption Group. A donations box will be available at the crematorium."

Ana lived with her family at Newtown Park in Leixlip, Co Kildare.

A close friend of the Kriegel family, Catherine Murphy TD, said: "Ana's family are very appreciative of the solidarity that has been expressed by people.

"They have continued to ask for privacy but they are very aware of the high level of support they have been getting. It really matters to them.

"The feeling of sadness which has covered the whole area has not lifted," Ms Murphy said.

The 13-year-old boy charged with Ana's murder, who cannot be named because of his age, was accompanied to the special sitting of the Children's Court by his parents and his grandfather last week.

Judge John O'Connor stressed that reporting restrictions were essential for a fair trial.

He warned that he wanted to make it clear that if the boy's name, school or address was published, or a picture of him was reproduced, it would result in a prosecution for those publishing the details.

Three reporters were present in the tiny courtroom for the hearing while other journalists had to wait outside.

The judge said he was aware the journalists present understood this, and added: "I am doing this from the point of view of general social media."

The boy spoke briefly during the private hearing that lasted less than 10 minutes.

Schoolchild

When asked by Judge O'Connor if this was his first time in court, the accused nodded and replied: "Yeah."

Legal aid was granted after the judge noted from defence counsel Donagh Molloy that the boy was "a schoolchild, 13 years of age".

A second juvenile who was arrested last Thursday morning in relation to the investigation, was released without charge last Friday. A file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

It is alleged that the accused murdered Ana on the day she was reported missing.

Three days later, after an intensive search, her body was discovered at the derelict property where she was killed.

The door and windows of the abandoned house have since been sealed with cement blocks.

A GoFundMe page has been opened on social media for Ana's family.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News