| 9.1°C Dublin

Family of driver who killed Oisin tell of their pain

THE family of the Polish taxi driver involved in the horrific car crash that killed a Cork couple's 16-month-old son and unborn baby girl have spoken of their devastation.

Marek Wojciechowski (20) died after being taken by air-ambulance to a Devon hospital following the collision outside Torquay, in the south-west of England, last Friday.

Cork couple Con (39) and Elber (36) Twomey were left fighting for their lives.

The Twomey's little boy, Oisin (16 months), died minutes after the head-on collision and emergency surgery failed to save Elber's unborn baby girl, Elber Marie.

Both Con, a construction worker from Meelin in north Cork, and Elber, a primary school teacher in Kanturk, remain in a critical condition in Derriford Hospital, outside Plymouth.

Devon police are now investigating whether Mr Wojciechowski may have deliberately veered his Vauxhall Vectra car at high speed into the path of the Twomey's Volkswagen Golf.

Mr Wojciechowski's partner, Agnieszka, said they are devastated by the events of last Friday.

"I just want you to come back, my Marek," she posted in an internet tribute.

"It is my only wish -- please. I cannot think or feel. I just do not know how to continue to live."

In other tributes posted by members of Britain's Polish community, Mr Wojciechowski is described as a loyal friend, a hard-working young man and devoted to his partner.

Mr Wojciechowski had two young girls and had only recently taken up a job as a taxi driver with a Torquay-based firm.

The UK's independent police watchdog, the IPCC, has now confirmed it is investigating whether Mr Wojciechowski's car was being chased by police at the time of the fatal collision.

Devon police had denied that the car was being pursued -- though they were looking for Mr Wojciechowski after a friend raised concerns about his well-being.

A suicide note had been discovered and it was apparently feared that he may be intending to harm himself.

The head-on collision between the Twomey's Golf and Mr Wojciechowski's Vectra was witnessed by a Devon police officer just outside the popular tourism town.

The IPCC has briefed both families on the situation.


Members of the Twomey family are continuing a bedside vigil at Derriford Hospital and were supported by Newmarket parish priest, Fr Dave Herlihy, who travelled to Devon to offer prayers for Con and Elber's recovery.

Elber's parents, Timmy and Rita, have been in Devon for the past six days while Con's sisters, Michelle and Colette, are also maintaining a vigil in Derriford. Con's mother, Julia, said the family have been overwhelmed by the support they've been shown.