Face of D4 road rage killer in fatal hurl attack
THIS is the D4 road rage killer who beat a man to death with a hurley on one of the capital's most affluent roads.
Karl Donohoe will be sentenced in April for the killing of dad-of-3 Raymond Bates -- the country's first fatal road rage victim.
Donohoe (30) succumbed to a "moment of madness" when he beat the construction worker on the head with a hurley at the junction of Sandymount Road and Tritonville Road in Dublin 4.
The 49-year-old Englishman died in hospital four days later and his assailant yesterday pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
Two other passengers, including a child, were in Donohoe's car at the time of the attack.
Donohoe, a crane worker from Bealing Village, Tyrrelstown, west Dublin, and formerly of Fisherman's Wharf, Ringsend, has apologised to his victim's family.
On the evening in question, Mr Bates was confronted by an irate Donohoe who proceeded to carry out the first road rage fatality in the history of the state.
The attack occurred at the junction of Sandymount Road, Newbridge Avenue and Tritonville Road around 7.30pm on a Sunday evening.
The incident began in another area of Sandymount and the two men followed each other to the junction, where they stopped, according to reports at the time.
At this point both men are understood to have stepped out of their cars on the roadway to remonstrate with each other, after which Donohoe violently attacked Mr Bates.
The petty row is believed to have developed over driving slowly away from a set of traffic lights. The two drivers clashed verbally as they made off in the same direction.
Donohoe, who was accompanied by two passengers, including a child, then jumped out and grabbed a hurley from the boot. He began striking Mr Bates' car on the bonnet and when the Englishman got out of the car, he was struck several times on the head and body with the hurley.
Donohoe did not remain at the scene after the incident.
In court, Mr Bates' wife wept as Donohoe admitted the killing and apologised for his actions.
The construction worker from Peterlee, Co Durham, had moved to Ireland just two months before he was attacked.
Donohoe was due to go on trial for murder but, when asked how he pleaded, Mr Donohoe replied: "Not guilty to murder, guilty to manslaughter."
Several of the Bates family were in court to hear his confession, including his wife Brenda who broke down in tears after hearing the plea. Senior counsel for Mr Donohoe, Brendan Grehan, said his client wanted to apologise to his victim's family for the incident which ended Mr Bates's life and ruined his own.
"He wants to apologise for his behaviour on the day in question. He said it was a moment of madness on his part and he is sorry for his actions," Mr Grehan said.
Mr Bates had been working on a gas pipeline when the incident happened on September 26, 1010. Both men drove away from the scene after the attack before a witness reported the assault to gardai.
Mr Bates went to St Vincent's Hospital the following day after becoming unwell. His condition deteriorated and he was transferred to Beaumont Hospital where he fell into a coma and died on September 30.
Mr Donohoe was arrested and initially charged with assault causing serious harm.
The DPP later directed Mr Donohoe should be charged with murder.
Prosecuting counsel Isobel Kennedy told the court the guilty plea to manslaughter was acceptable to the State.
Donohoe was remanded in custody by Mr Justice Paul Carney until sentencing on April 16, when a victim impact statement from the Bates family will be read in court.