Friday 21 September 2018

'Ex-police chief told pal of plans to blame drunk fans'


Former Merseyside Chief Constable Sir Norman Bettison (left)
Former Merseyside Chief Constable Sir Norman Bettison (left)
Sport. Football. pic: 15th April 1989. F.A. Cup Semi-Final at Hillsborough. (The Hillsborough Tragedy) Liverpool 0.v Nottingham Forest 0. Match Abandoned. Liverpool Chief Executive Peter Robinson watches as a fan is treated....Sport, Football, pic: 15th April 1989, F.A. Cup Semi-Final at Hillsborough, (The Hillsborough Tragedy) Liverpool 0,v Nottingham Forest 0, Match Abandoned, Liverpool Chief Executive Peter Robinson watches as a fan is treated

A FORMER police chief told a man in a pub that they would try to "concoct a story that all of the Liverpool fans were drunk", the inquests into the Hillsborough tragedy has heard.

A month after the April 1989 disaster which claimed 96 lives, Sir Norman Bettison was said to have made the comment to a civil servant in the Fleur de Lys pub in Sheffield.

John Barry said he and Sir Norman, a chief inspector with South Yorkshire Police at the time, were among a group of people who would go to the pub following a business course they both attended.


Mr Barry told the jury sitting in Warrington, Cheshire, that both had just got a pint and moved away from the bar when Sir Norman told him: "I have been asked by my senior officers to pull together this South Yorkshire Police evidence for the [Taylor] inquiry.

"We are going to try to concoct a story that all of the Liverpool fans were drunk, and that we were afraid they were going to break down the gates so we decided to open them."

Sir Norman is to be questioned about his role on the day of the fateful FA Cup semi-final, where 96 Liverpool fans died, and his subsequent involvement in gathering evidence for the Taylor Inquiry which began the month after the disaster.

The jury has previously heard evidence from a former South Yorkshire Police (SYP) colleague of Sir Norman that they both attended a briefing the Monday after the tragedy and were told to blame Liverpool fans.

Last week, former detective chief superintendent Terry Wain denied he held any such briefing.

Mr Wain compiled a report for Lord Justice Taylor on behalf of SYP, which was later edited, and included a section on the events of the day which was written by Sir Norman.

Mr Barry said he attended the FA Cup semi-final and was in the Leppings Lane end.

He left the stadium "extremely distressed" shortly before 4pm and later told students on the course, including Sir Norman, that he missed a class because he had been at the match.

The witness said Sir Norman approached him afterwards and said he, too, had been to the game when off duty.

Jonathan Hough QC, counsel for the inquest, asked Mr Barry if anything had prompted Sir Norman's remark to him in the pub.

Mr Barry said: "Nothing."

Mr Hough asked: "How certain are you now of precisely what words he said?"

Mr Barry said: "Absolutely certain."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News