Estate sealed off after dangerous substance dumped by roadside
A housing estate in west Dublin was sealed off after the discovery of a drum containing a highly hazardous substance.
On its busiest day of the year yesterday, Dublin Fire Brigade was dispatched to the estate in Clondalkin after a 999 call.
The drum was found on Oatfield Drive, near the popular Finches pub in Neilstown Road.
It had been abandoned at the side of the road.
The fire brigade sent two appliances to the scene after it received a call from a concerned member of the public.
A Dublin Fire Brigade (DFB) spokesperson told the Herald the 25-litre drum contained a dangerous substance called trichlorobenzene.
It was removed by crew members in protective suits.
The estate was closed for two hours as the area was made safe.
"We got the first call at about 11.30am and the area was deemed safe again at 1.30pm," said the brigade spokesperson.
The substance is a high-temperature solvent that is regularly used as a sealant on boat exteriors.
However, it is potentially dangerous to humans and comes with significant health risks because it can be a respiratory irritant if it is not managed properly.
It can also damage the liver and kidneys and there are strict recommendations on exposure for workers who use the chemical.
It is also deemed an environmental hazard.
Emergency services believe youths searching for pallets and other materials for a bonfire may have taken the container before abandoning it on the side of the road.
It is not yet known where the material came from or why it was dumped in the area.
It was contained and safely disposed of by officers last night.
The call came as the fire brigade was preparing for an extremely busy night.
Two other calls in the area yesterday included rubbish being set on fire and a bonfire on the green area.