| 8.8°C Dublin

English suspect (40) in feud pub murder arrested in London


Michael Barr was murdered

Michael Barr was murdered

Michael Barr was murdered

AN English national has been arrested in London in connection with the brutal feud murder of dissident republican Michael Barr.

Barr was shot dead in the Sunset House pub in the Summerhill area of Dublin in April 2016, on the orders of the Kinahan cartel.

The man (40) who was picked up is not suspected of being a gunman in the case.


Officers from the Extradition Unit picked up the man at a London prison yesterday after he completed a short sentence for minor offences.

He will now undergo an extradition procedure in the UK, which may take a number of weeks or months.

Gardai hope the extradition will not be affected by the ongoing Brexit debacle.

If his extradition is granted by the British courts, the suspect will be the third man to appear before the courts here in relation to the murder of IRA man Barr, who was blamed by the Kinahan cartel for involvement in the Regency Hotel bloodbath.

Eamonn Cumberton (31) became the first person to be convicted of a murder linked to the Hutch/Kinahan feud when he was jailed for life by the Special Criminal Court in January of last year.

Gardai believe Cumberton, who trained in mixed martial arts, became involved in the Barr murder because he owed a significant cocaine debt to the cartel.

He had denied the murder of Barr (35) in the Sunset House pub on April 25, 2016.

The Special Criminal Court heard how Barr was standing at the counter of the bar, socialising, when two men wearing "Freddy Krueger" masks entered the pub.


One of them shot him seven times, in what the court described as a "deliberate" and "planned" execution.

Also convicted in the case was Martin Aylmer (31), of Casino Park, Marino, who was jailed for three years and nine months last October for helping a criminal organisation murder the bar manager.

Gardai recovered a mobile phone beside the partially burnt-out getaway car following the murder and CCTV footage later showed Aylmer buying the phone in Dublin's Ilac Shopping Centre two days before Barr was shot dead.