Friday 19 January 2018

Dublin youth 'looking for directions' threatened to slit throats of terrified women


Gardai on duty.
Gardai on duty.

A young Dublin man attacked two women walking home alone, assaulting them and then threatening to slit their throats.

The separate attacks, carried out in Cork city centre by Dylan Byrne (21) only 40 minutes apart, were described by a judge as "very worrying".

Byrne, from Crumlin but who was living in Shandon Street in Cork, pleaded guilty to the two assaults and to a single charge of sexual assault.

The victims, who cannot be identified, admitted they both feared for their lives during the attacks in the early hours of November 3, 2013.

Judge Sean O'Donnabhain in Cork Circuit Criminal Court heard that the attacks only stopped when they were both interrupted by pedestrians.

Byrne, who admitted all three offences, held his head in his hands and sobbed throughout the hearing.

Det Gda Colin Greenway said the first incident occurred in Bridge Street at 3.30am.

A woman in her 30s was walking to her car after work when Byrne approached her and said he had been robbed.

He was looking for directions and the woman helped him.

However, as she approached her car he grabbed her by the throat.

"He was very aggressive. He told her if she didn't stop struggling he would slit her f***ing throat," the detective said.

The woman fought back and the attack ended when another woman walked around the corner. Byrne fled and the victim was able to get into her car.

Judge O'Donnabhain was told the woman was terrified during the attack that she would never see her five-year-old child again.

The second attack and the sexual assault occurred 40 minutes later.

Byrne approached a second woman near Sober Lane. He punched her repeatedly in the head and dragged her up the lane. He also threatened to slit her throat if she did not stop struggling.

The terrified woman offered Byrne her money but he said he did not want it.

He forced the dazed woman to kiss him and as he was about to force himself on her a man walked around the corner and Byrne fled the scene.

"The manner in which this happened is very worrying," said Judge O'Donnabhain, who remanded Byrne in custody for sentencing in June.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News