Sunday 19 November 2017

Dublin man (22) jailed for one year over fatal New Year's Day assault


The bridge in Tallaght, inset, Dale Creighton who died after being attacked on New Year's Day
The bridge in Tallaght, inset, Dale Creighton who died after being attacked on New Year's Day

A MAN has been sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison, with 18 months suspended, for assaulting 20-year-old Dale Creighton, who died in hospital after he was attacked in Tallaght on New Year's Day.

James O'Brien (22) of The Mill, Baltinglass, Co Wicklow pleaded guilty on June 8 to the assault, causing harm, of Dale Creighton on Saint Dominic's Road, Tallaght.

Seven Dubliners in their 20s are also charged in connection with Mr Creighton's death.

At yesterday's sentencing hearing in the Central Criminal Court, Ms Justice Isobel Kennedy told the court that, on New Year's Eve last year, Mr Creighton was attending a house party, which he left at 3am.


The court heard that Mr Creighton split up from his friends and that his intention was to return to the house party.

The court also heard that a larger group of people were at the Plaza, where "considerable alcohol was consumed".

Allegations were made that somebody stole a woman's handbag and telephone, the court heard. "They took the view that Mr Creighton had involvement," Ms Justice Kennedy said.

Mr Creighton was chased and caught up with on a footbridge, where he was assaulted by people other than Mr O'Brien, the court heard.

The court further heard that Mr O'Brien arrived in a car and that his actions were seen on CCTV last week in court.

"It is crystal clear he punched and kicked Mr Creighton while he was lying prone on the ground," Ms Justice Kennedy said.

Mr O'Brien punched Mr Creighton nine times, the court heard, before leaving the scene. The assault lasted one-and-a-half minutes. Mr Creighton died later in hospital and Mr O'Brien was arrested.

When asked by gardai about injuries to his hand, Mr O'Brien said that during an argument in his house he punched two holes in his bedroom door, the court heard.

Mr O'Brien also told gardai that, on the night of the assault, he was driving home to a mate's house and got out of the car to see what was happening, Ms Justice Kennedy told the court.

"Clearly, both answers are inaccurate in the context of the evidence," Ms Justice Kennedy said.

The court heard that Mr Paul Greene SC, defending, expressed remorse last week on behalf of Mr O'Brien and that his probation report described him as "a moderate risk of re-offending".

The court also heard that Mr O'Brien comes from "a stable family background" and has "absented himself from Tallaght in an effort to rehabilitate himself."

"It was a violent, cowardly attack by Mr O'Brien," Ms Justice Kennedy said.

In assessing whether his remorse is genuine, Ms Justice Kennedy considered his guilty plea.

She also said that the genuineness of his remorse is "tempered by the inaccurate information he gave to gardai regarding his injuries and his presence at the scene."

The mitigating factors in considering Mr O'Brien's sentence were his guilty plea, his remorse, his lack of previous convictions and his efforts to rehabilitate, the court heard.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News