Wednesday 26 June 2019

Drug gang beat man and try to chop off fingers with a hatchet

Stock photo
Stock photo

A young man has suffered catastrophic injuries after he was attacked and beaten over the head with a hatchet during a punishment beating in a field.

The victim was undergoing surgery in hospital yesterday as medics desperately tried to save several of his fingers.

A local gang who have connections to one of the biggest drug-dealing mobs in west Dublin has emerged as early suspects for the assault.

Gardai made an appeal yesterday for information on the attack, which happened in the Kilcormac area of Co Offaly between 5.30pm and 6pm on Saturday.

Before he was attacked, the last sighting of the young man, who is local to the area, was when he left a house to go for a bag of chips.

He later showed up at an- other house covered in blood.

He was being treated in Tullamore General Hospital yesterday. No arrests have yet been made.

"This was a savage attack and gardai believe it was carried out by a vicious local drugs gang. There has been an issue with witnesses," a senior source said last night.

A garda spokesman said: "At approximately 6pm on Saturday, an ambulance was called to Munny, Kilcormac, following a report of a man being discovered with serious head and other injuries. He was taken to Tullamore General Hospital.


"We are asking for anyone who was in the Kilcormac area on Saturday and who may have seen anything suspicious to contact us at Birr Garda Station on 057 9169710."

It has emerged that gardai are investigating if the mob is allied with a violent Midlands gangster who is suspected of being at the centre of the death of Christy Daly (47), who had five teeth knocked out before being shot nine times with a machine gun in December 2013.

In July 2016, 28-year-old Ross Allen was jailed for the manslaughter of the criminal father-of-eight by keeping lookout while he was beaten and shot to death in Clara, Co Offaly.

After the killing, it emerged that two Dublin criminals picked up lookout man Allen and sped back toward Clara.

A witness told the court that the two Dublin men stayed up until 5am snorting cocaine in the living room.

After this, they went to a cage fight and continued on a major cocaine bender while Daly's body remained at the remote scene before being found a week later.

At the time, gardai had intelligence that one of the Dublin gangsters was actively "renting" a machine gun out to other gangs.

Investigations have established that the gun used to kill Daly had been used in other attacks.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News