herald

Monday 18 December 2017

Drivers in shock at M7 victim

THE man killed after he wandered across four lanes of traffic on a busy motorway junction had been reported missing from his home.

Gardai were investigating the disappearance of 68-year-old Brendan Kavanagh from Thomas Street in Dundalk, Co Louth.

Tragically, Mr Kavanagh who was said to have been in a "confused" state when he was last seen leaving his home at 6.30pm on Thursday, died after he was struck on the M7/M9 junction.

A lorry had to swerve to avoid Mr Kavanagh, who was walking across the motorway, but he was later struck by a jeep.

Mr Kavanagh appeared to have climbed over a barrier and made his way across the motorway.

The horrific incident happened at 11am yesterday -- and the motorists who witnessed the crash were said to be in a shocked state last night.

Mr Kavanagh was pronounced dead at the scene and his body was removed to Naas General Hospital. It is believed his car, a gold Renault Scenic Hatchback, may have broken down and he was attempting to cross the road.

The Dundalk man is the 157th person to be killed on Irish roads so far this year -- and he is the 29th pedestrian.

Gardai are appealing to anyone who travelled this stretch of road at the time of the collision and witnessed what happened to contact them in Athy on 059 8631669. They can also call the Garda Confidential Telephone Line on 1800 666 111.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News