Saturday 18 November 2017

Dad shot down by man in drag died of 'multiple wounds'

Gardai at the scene where Keith Walker was shot dead with a submachine gun
Gardai at the scene where Keith Walker was shot dead with a submachine gun
Keith Walker

A father of two died of multiple gunshot wounds, an inquest heard.

Keith Walker (35) was shot by a submachinegun-wielding man dressed as a woman in a car park in west Dublin on June 12 last.

Mr Walker's wife, father and siblings attended the opening of an inquest into his death at Dublin Coroner's Court yesterday.

In her deposition, Mr Walker's sister Michelle Walker said she identified her brother's body to gardai at Connolly Hospital in Dublin on June 13.

Det Garda Brendan O'Hora of Blanchardstown Garda Station identified the body to State Pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy, who carried out a post-mortem exam at Connolly Hospital.

Before reading Dr Cassidy's report into evidence, Coroner Dr Brian Farrell told family members the details might be uncomfortable for them to hear.

"It's quite upsetting. You are probably aware of the circumstances," the coroner said.

In her preliminary report, Dr Cassidy gave the cause of death as multiple gunshot wounds to the head and body. Mr Walker - of Tor an Ri, Clondalkin, Dublin 22 - was pronounced dead at the scene.

"I am aware of some of the circumstances but I am not able to deal with this now because there is a criminal trial pending," the coroner told the Walker family.


Inspector Colm Murphy applied for an adjournment of the inquest into Mr Walker's death under Section 25 of the Coroner's Act. Inspector Murphy said the case was a homicide.

"An individual has been charged before the courts," Insp Murphy said.

Christopher McDonald (32), formerly of Boolavogue Road, East Wall, Dublin 3 was arrested and charged with the murder of Mr Walker in June.

Mr Walker was shot in a car park adjacent to Shelerin Road, Clonsilla, west Dublin on June 12 last at around 6pm as he arrived at a pigeon club on the Shelerin Road.

Witnesses said a man dressed as a woman pulled a gun on Mr Walker as he stepped out of the car, hitting him in the head and chest and wounding another man in the process.

Extending his sympathies to the family, the coroner adjourned the inquest until after the criminal trial is complete.

"I'm so sorry to hear of Keith's violent death. I'm not able to say any more at this point. The inquest stands adjourned until after criminal proceedings are completed," Dr Farrell said.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News