herald

Saturday 18 August 2018

Dad 'nearly lost his eye' in alleged teen attack

Courts of Criminal Justice
Courts of Criminal Justice

THE DPP is being asked to drop a prosecution against a youth who was allegedly involved in a knife slash attack where a terrified father was just a millimetre from losing an eye.

The Dublin Children's Court has heard that during the attack two teenage raiders forced their way into the man's home to attack his son.

Two boys, aged 16 and 17, are facing assault, aggravated burglary and criminal damage charges following an alleged incident in Tallaght on January 15 last.

They appeared before Judge John O'Connor for a preliminary hearing to determine whether their trial will remain in the jurisdiction of the Dublin Children's Court.

Judge O'Connor has ruled that the 17-year-old defendant should be tried in the higher court and that youth has been remanded on bail pending the preparation of a book of evidence.

However, he has adjourned making a trial venue ruling in the younger boy's case.

Defence solicitor Gareth Noble said that boy has had a "transient lifestyle", has struggled with addiction difficulties and has also attended mental health treatment.

A psychiatric report on that boy is to be sent by the defence to the DPP to consider whether his prosecution will proceed.

Both youths will appear again next month.

Det Garda Dave Jennings told Judge O'Connor that it was alleged that the victim's 17-year-old son had been watching TV in their home when the two youths "forced their way in".

FORCED

The 17-year-old boy managed to fend off the two alleged raiders and forced them out of the house.

It was alleged that at this point the younger defendant handed a knife to his co-accused and they used it to smash the front door of the house.

The 40-year-old home-owner then came downstairs and it was alleged the older defendant "swung the knife at the injured party catching him from the base of his nose right up under the eye with the tip of the knife".

Det Gda Jennings told Judge O'Connor that this attack, "could have resulted in the loss of an eye, there was a millimetre in the difference".

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News