| 12.5°C Dublin

Cross-border manhunt as teen dies after slash hook row

Close

John Paul McDonagh died following a street brawl that was caught on video

John Paul McDonagh died following a street brawl that was caught on video

John Paul McDonagh died following a street brawl that was caught on video

A cross-border manhunt is under way for the chief suspect in the killing of an 18-year-old in Fermanagh over the weekend.

The victim, named as John Paul McDonagh, was originally from the Finglas area of Dublin but had been living in Northern Ireland for some time.

The teenager was seriously injured after a fight broke out involving a number of men in the Coolcullen Meadows area of Enniskillen on Saturday night.

A number of weapons, including a slash hook and bottles, were used in the assault which was captured on video.

Mr McDonagh and another 24-year-old man suffered serious injuries to their legs during the fight and were hospitalised.

Tribute

However, despite the best efforts of paramedics, Mr McDonagh was pronounced dead yesterday morning.

Relatives of the deceased teenager took to social media to pay tribute after news of his death emerged.

One wrote: "18-years of age his whole life ahead of him he didn't deserve this."

Another added: "RIP John really can't believe you're gone you will always be remembered, never forgotten fly high."

A bare-knuckle boxer living in the North, but with links to the Republic, has been identified as a chief suspect in the killing of Mr McDonagh.

The PSNI are liaising with gardai, who are attempting to establish if the suspect fled across the Border after the fatal assault.

Detectives from the PSNI's Murder Investigation Team have launched an inquiry into the incident which happened at 8.40pm on Saturday.

The PSNI said they attended the scene and found two men, including Mr McDonagh, who had sustained wounds to their legs.

A 19-year-old man was arrested in relation to the incident and he has since been released on bail, pending further enquiries.

A fourth man who was also present fled the scene before police arrived and is still at large.

Detective Chief Inspector John Caldwell yesterday appealed for anyone who captured the incident on mobile phone footage to contact them.

"Tragically, this morning, the 18-year-old male victim passed away in hospital," he said.

"I want to express my condolences to the victim's family, friends and loved ones at this very sad time. Our investigation continues...and I am appealing to the public to help us establish exactly what happened and who was involved.

Footage

"If you witnessed the altercation, please get in touch with us by calling 101 and ask for detectives investigating this murder.

"If you captured footage of it on your mobile phone, or if you were driving in the area and captured it on your dash cam, I would urge you to bring that forward to us.

"Our enquiries are continuing and I would continue to appeal for anyone who has information which may assist our investigation to call us on the non-emergency number 101 quoting reference 2257 of 11/04/20," he said.

"Alternatively, information can also be provided to independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."