Youth robbed man in drug-fuelled Temple Bar attack
A youth has been given a 10-month suspended sentence for his part in a drug-fuelled gang robbery of a man who was beaten to the ground and left concussed in Dublin's Temple Bar.
The victim was attacked in the early hours of September 24, 2016, after he refused to hand over his wallet and phone, the Dublin Children's Court heard.
His attacker is already serving a three-year sentence for other violent offences and was due to be released in 2020.
Judge John O'Connor imposed a 10-month term consecutive to the teenager's current term of detention but he suspended it on condition he does not re-offend within 10 months of his release. The 17-year-old boy, who was under the influence of a "large concoction of substances" at the time of the incident in Fownes Street, pleaded guilty to robbery.
In evidence, Garda Ciaran O'Mahoney said the man had cuts and bruises to his arms, legs and his face. His Samsung phone and his wallet containing his Leap Card and €10 had been taken. The defendant was one of a group who had chased the man from the Central Bank Plaza and beat him to the ground , the garda said.
Gda O'Mahoney agreed with the defence that the boy "was highly intoxicated and agitated" and "was clearly under the influence of a large concoction of substances".
He also agreed that the youth, who cannot be named because he is a minor, now appeared drastically different in terms of his respect to the gardai compared to when the incident happened.
Defence counsel Damian McKeone, pleading for leniency, asked the judge to note that the youth had been taking part in educational courses and carrying out chores in custody and encouraging other young people detained there to do the same.