herald

Tuesday 21 November 2017

Youth involved in Oberstown siege admits burglary

Oberstown Children's detention Campus
Oberstown Children's detention Campus

A Dublin youth awaiting sentencing for false imprisonment of staff during a violent two-hour siege at the Oberstown detention centre has admitted burgling a house.

Dublin Children's Court had previously heard that four of the detention centre's supervising staff were trapped in a room by the then-16-year-old, who went "a little crazy".

One of the staff members was injured when a television was thrown at her, and they feared the youth would carry out threats to "smash their skulls".

The 48-bed facility in Lusk, north Dublin, is the State's main detention centre for offenders aged under 17.

The boy, who is now 17, has pleaded guilty to four counts of false imprisonment, of two males and two females, at Unit 8 in the detention centre, on November 27, 2015.

He is due back in court next month for sentencing over that incident.

Screwdriver

Yesterday, the youth further pleaded guilty to burglary, and possessing a screwdriver for use in the offence, at Glenbourne Green, Leopardstown, on March 1.

Gda Trevor Darcy told the court that a front window at a house was forced.

A witness later saw three people running to a car.

Gda Darcy said that, when he approached the vehicle in question, the passengers fled.

He said that US dollars and Chinese currency was found where the boy had been sitting.

The money was later reported stolen from the house.

Gda Darcy said the teenager ran off and had a large screwdriver in his hand, which he refused to drop on numerous occasions.

Judge John O'Connor remanded the youth on bail to appear again in May for sentencing for the burglary.

A probation report has been ordered.

The teenager has 15 prior criminal convictions and has previously served custodial sentences for a range of off- ences.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News