Saturday 19 January 2019

'You don't know who my dad is', cartel-link teen said before attack

Lorcan O'Reilly
Lorcan O'Reilly

A teenager connected to the Kinahan cartel fatally stabbed 21-year-old Lorcan O'Reilly at a Halloween bonfire after yelling at him: 'You don't know who my dad is,' a court was told.

The 16-year-old, who cannot be identified due to his age, had originally been charged with Mr O'Reilly's murder.

At the Central Criminal Court yesterday, the accused pleaded not guilty to murder but guilty to Mr O'Reilly's manslaughter at the Oliver Bond flats in Dublin during the early hours of November 1, 2015.

The accused was 14 years of age at the time killing. The death was not connected to the city's feud between the Kinahan cartel and Hutch family.

The court was also told that although around 23 youths had been present at the Halloween party, gardai had struggled to gather witness statements.

When asked by prosecution counsel Brendan Grehan SC if gardai had concerns about "the safety and well-being of witnesses", Det Insp Paul Cleary said: "Serious concerns."

During yesterday's hearing, the court was told that the deceased and the defendant had both attended an organised bonfire next to the flats in Dublin's south-inner city on October 31, 2015.

Describing the events leading up to the fatal attack, Mr Grehan said the accused and deceased had been involved in exchanging insults at 2.40am and that the accused was caught on CCTV in possession of a hurley.

Det Insp Cleary agreed with Mr Grehan that the accused had been swinging the hurley towards the deceased shouting: "You don't who my dad is…You don't know who I am."

Taking the hurley from the boy, Mr O'Reilly was heard saying: "I don't care. I'm not letting a 14-year-old talk to me like that."

At that point, the accused left the scene but returned minutes later and struck Mr O'Reilly in the chest with a knife.

The Oliver Bond flats near where the fatal stabbing took place
The Oliver Bond flats near where the fatal stabbing took place

He then ran off but Mr O'Reilly chased after him and the pair clashed again, with Mr O'Reilly receiving a second stab wound below his right eye.


Moments after the second altercation, Mr O'Reilly approached a friend and said: "Amy, I'm after being stabbed…"

He was then taken by car to the accident and emergency department of the nearby St James's Hospital where he later went into a cardiac arrest.

Despite the best efforts of the hospital medical staff, Mr O'Reilly never regained consciousness and was pronounced dead at 4.05am.

Mr Grehan told the court a post-mortem later revealed the fatal blow had been a knife wound to Mr O'Reilly's chest that had punctured his heart.

Days after the killing, on November 4, the accused - who has no previous convictions - attended Kevin Street Garda Station with his maternal and paternal grandmothers.

During a subsequent interview with gardai on that date, Mr Grehan described how one of the grandparents said to her grandson: "Show him the bruises on your arm. When are you going to tell your side of the story? When your solicitor comes?".

Sentencing was adjourned by Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy until February 6, 2017 and the accused was remanded on continuing bail until that date.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News