herald

Monday 11 December 2017

Wounded gun attack suspect is refused bail

VICTIM: Charlie O'Neill was cycling on Glasnevin Avenue, Dublin, when he was shot. He remains in hospital and is said to be 'criticial but stable'
VICTIM: Charlie O'Neill was cycling on Glasnevin Avenue, Dublin, when he was shot. He remains in hospital and is said to be 'criticial but stable'

A 31-YEAR-OLD man who allegedly blasted his own leg by accident before shooting another man in the chest during a botched gun attack in Dublin, has been refused bail.

Charlie O'Neill (51) had been cycling on Glasnevin Avenue when he was shot in the stomach last Monday morning.

The Ballymun man was rushed to the Mater Hospital for treatment following the shooting and remains in an induced coma.

At nearby Hillcrest Park, a second man, Thomas Ryan (31) was found with gunshot injuries to his leg who was later taken to Beaumont Hospital while a shotgun was located close to the scene.

Ryan was later brought to Ballymun Garda station where he was held for questioning until he was charged and brought to appear before Dublin District Court yesterday.

Ryan of McKee Park, Cabra, who is unemployed, was charged with unlawfully possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life.

Wearing a grey tracksuit, the Cabra man appeared in court on crutches.

Garda Cathal Connolly told Judge Alan Mitchell that Ryan "made no reply" when he was charged with the offences.

He objected to bail citing the seriousness of the offence adding that at 8.10am on Monday, a man had been cycling on Glasnevin Avenue, when he was allegedly shot by the accused.

The court heard that two shots are alleged to have been fired but it was claimed that the first round was discharged unintentionally and the defendant suffered "an accidental gunshot wound to the leg".

It was alleged that a second shot was fired which hit Mr O'Neill in the abdomen.

He is in an induced coma in what was described in court as a "critical but stable" condition.

Garda Connolly also said that Ryan fled into laneway but was found after he collapsed nearby.

A sawn-off shotgun was also located and after being treated at Beaumont Hospital he was arrested and made admissions, the court heard.

 

SERIOUS

The garda said Ryan was a potential flight risk with no ties and more serious charges could be brought against him.

However, defence solicitor Jenny McGeever argued that Ryan had three relatives in court, had strong family connections in Dublin, and has always lived at his current address.

She asked her client if he understood that the charge was very serious to which he stepped forward and answered "yes".

He then replied "yeah, no problem," when his lawyer asked him if he would adhere to bail conditions.

However, Judge Mitchell refused to allow him out on bail and remanded him in custody to appear again on September 6.

He also made a recommendation that Ryan would get appropriate medical assessment.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News