herald

Tuesday 21 November 2017

Woman's nose broken during robbery - claim

CHARGES: Teen denies attack on students

A TEENAGER was accused of attacking two students, leaving one of them with a broken nose, in a violent robbery.

Darragh O'Sullivan (18) and an accomplice are alleged to have stolen the students' mobile phones and handbags during the roadside assault.

The case was adjourned after

O'Sullivan's lawyer asked to see a videotape of an interview he gave to gardai.

It has been alleged that the young women -- one Irish and one foreign national -- were subjected to a violent assault and are now living in fear of the accused.

O'Sullivan, of Ashlawn Park, Ballybrack, appeared before Dun Laoghaire District Court charged with a number of counts of robbery, attempted robbery and serious assault.

The alleged incidents took place at Mountain Villas and Church Road, Ballybrack on October 25 last year.

The court had heard that the DPP has directed summary disposal of all matters in the District Court, and jurisdiction was previously accepted.

Garda Ian Gillen had told the court that it will be alleged that the three young women were walking along Church Road shortly before 7pm when they were approached by O'Sullivan and an accomplice.

The garda said it will be alleged that O'Sullivan robbed one of the women, all of whom are students, of her Sony Ericsson mobile phone, which is worth €200.

It will also be alleged that he then tried to rob a second woman, and that he stole a black leather handbag, worth €100, from a third woman, which contained her passport, driving licence, purse and keys, with a total value of €245.



Thrown

Garda Gillen said it will be alleged that two of the students were assaulted during the robbery, being thrown to the ground and repeatedly kicked, one of them suffering a broken nose.

Defence lawyer Barry Ward said that he had received all statements relating to the matter, but had not received videos of an interview the gardai had conducted with the accused.

Judge Bridget Reilly made an order for videotapes of the interview to be furnished to the defence, and adjourned the matter for four weeks for O'Sullivan to enter a plea.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News