| 14.1°C Dublin

Woman living in fear from iPhone mugger

A WOMAN has been left too frightened to walk home from work after a teenager mugged her for her iPhone, a court was told.

The 17-year-old boy has been charged at the Children's Court with robbery at Buckingham Street Lower, in the north inner city Dublin on July 11.

Garda Eoin Treacy told Judge Clare Leonard yesterday that for years the woman had walked along the street every day to get to and from work.

Outlining the allegations against the boy, he said: "The accused ran up behind the injured party, who was on her iPhone at the time.

"He struck her on her right ear with a closed fist and snatched the phone."

Gda Treacy said the woman did not suffer physical injuries but "is now in fear of walking that route from work as she has done for the last three years".

"Now she has to drive to work," he added.

Judge Leonard remanded the teenager, who was accompanied to his case by his mother, on bail to appear again on a date in November when he is to enter a plea to the charge.

He has already admitted a breach of the peace offence and has been convicted of stealing a moped in Dublin city centre, on August 15 last year.

Sentencing for these offences was also adjourned, with the judge saying the teenager had to bring €100 to court for donation to charity, for the breach of the peace charge.

The judge also directed that the teenager, who had been a cannabis user, was to be tested to see if he was still abusing drugs

As conditions of bail, the boy must obey an 11pm to 8am curfew, abstain from alcohol and drugs, and sign on twice weekly at Store Street Garda Station, in Dublin city centre.