Thursday 14 December 2017

Woman, 56, died after 15-minute hospital surgery

A woman who had a 15-minute surgical procedure at a private Dublin hospital was readmitted in severe pain later that evening and died three days later, an inquest has heard.

Mary Walsh (56), of Carrigwood, Firhouse, Dublin underwent surgery on her bladder to correct a problem with frequent passing of urine at Mount Carmel Hospital on the morning of December 5, 2008.

After the procedure, a cystoscopy, the woman was discharged to the recovery room at about 9.20am where she received medication for pain.

When she was discharged to the day ward an hour later she had no pain.


An inquest into her death at Dublin County Coroner's Court yesterday heard that Ms Walsh went home later that day and sent a text message to her partner Francis Flood at 6.30pm indicating that she was in severe pain.

She was admitted to Mount Carmel at 10pm, reporting a pain score of 10 out of 10 and told nurse Catherine O'Halloran she began experiencing pain half an hour after her discharge.

Ms Walsh received medication for high levels of pain on the night of December 5; her lower abdomen was noted to be swollen and bruised looking.

Consultant Ted McDermott saw the patient at 3am and prescribed antibiotics and intravenous morphine. Nurse O'Halloran said Mr McDermott considered the possibility of perforation.


By 4am, Ms Walsh's pain was under control and at 8am her condition was comfortable.

"She was feeling much better and she thanked us," Ms O'Halloran said.

Nurse Deirdre Moran said an hour and a half later when she went to take a blood sample, Ms Walsh was pale, very cold and clammy with a weak pulse.

Ms Walsh was brought to the high dependency unit.

She was transferred to Tallaght Hospital on December 7 where she died the following day.

The inquest did not hear evidence of the cause of death.Ms Walsh's partner told the court he had been told her bladder had been torn in two places.


The coroner Dr Kieran Geraghty adjourned the inquest to a date in September to allow solicitor for the Walsh family, Damien Tansey, time to consider statements.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News