herald

Tuesday 21 November 2017

Waitress scarred by scalding soup settles €38k claim

A WAITRESS who was scalded when a bowl of soup spilled on her right forearm has settled a €38,000 claim for damages against her former employer.

The Circuit Civil Court has heard that Carol Mansfield, (30) of Rathsallagh Drive, Shankill, Co Dublin, was left with a permanent mark as a result of the scald.

Barrister Ian Whelan told Circuit Court President, Mr Justice Matthew Deery, that her claim against Gabrella Ltd, which trades as The Gables restaurant, Westminster Road, Foxrock, Dublin, had been settled for an undisclosed sum.

Kevin Callan, counsel for the restaurant, who agreed that the case could be struck out with an order for Ms Mansfield's legal costs, had lodged a full defence to the action.







Painkiller

Ms Mansfield, who had worked as a waitress at the restaurant, alleged that on November 2007 she had been scalded while lifting a bowl of soup on a serving plate from a kitchen hatch.

She said the bowl slipped across the serving plate and had splashed over her right forearm. The burn had immediately been treated with cold water.

She had been taken to St Columcille's Hospital, Loughlinstown, where the burn had been treated with painkiller and cooling gel. The wound had been dressed several times at the hospital.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News