Thursday 20 September 2018

Vicious attack on binman for not collecting rubbish

Craig Redmond (pictured) and McCann were jailed for three years
Craig Redmond (pictured) and McCann were jailed for three years
John McCann (pictured) and Redmond were jailed for three years

Two men who viciously attacked a binman because their rubbish was not collected have been jailed.

John McCann (32) and Craig Redmond (21) launched the assault after the bin was blacklisted for non-payment.

They also assaulted Gda Michael Hughes when he arrived at the scene.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard yesterday that Gda Hughes, who was a keen marathon runner, has been unable to walk unaided since the attack.

McCann, of Virginia Drive, Finglas, and Redmond, of Valley Park Drive, Finglas, were sentenced to three years by Judge Melanie Greally.

She suspended the final 18 months of McCann's sentence in light of his efforts to rehabilitate. She suspended the final year of Redmond's sentence after taking the view that he has made less effort to rehabilitate.

McCann pleaded guilty to assaulting both the binman and Gda Hughes at Virginia Park, Finglas, on May 8, 2015. Redmond pleaded guilty to assaulting the binman.

Gda Robert Griffin told the court that Redmond has struggled with addictions and has 30 previous convictions for offences including theft, assault, criminal damage, burglary and robbery.


McCann also has addiction issues and has 31 previous convictions for theft, road traffic offences, robbery, burglary, criminal damage and assault.

Sandra Frayne, for McCann, said he wished to apologise to Gda Hughes. He had €1,000 in court for the officer, who said he would accept it on behalf of a relative, a terminally-ill child.

James Dwyer, defending Redmond, said his client had €300 in court as a token of his remorse to his victim.

Gda Griffin said the victim and his colleagues were collecting for Greyhound West Re- cycling when they loaded a bin on to the truck that had been blacklisted for non-payment.

The men returned the bin and put a sticker on it to explain why it had not been collected.

Three men then came from a nearby green area and started giving out to the victim's coll- eague for not taking the bin.

Gda Griffin said the victim managed to call gardai before one of the men threatened to punch him.

The man moved backwards and fell over before all three attacked him, punching and kicking him all over.

Gardai arrived a short time later to find the man still being attacked.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News