herald

Saturday 24 August 2019

Teenager 'was copying what he'd seen in porn' to assault his sister (8)

Stock Image
Stock Image

A teenage boy who sexually abused his half-sister said he was copying what he saw on a pornographic website, a court has heard.

The 16-year-old - who cannot be named to protect his identity and the identity of the injured party - arrived at the Central Criminal Court on signed pleas of guilty to five counts of oral rape and 44 counts of sexual assault occurring between September 1, 2016, and January 31, 2017.

A local garda told Imelda Kelly BL, prosecuting, that on January 30, 2017, the teenager's mother walked into her living room to discover her son inappropriately touching her daughter's genitals.

The teenager was 14 years old on the day in question and his half-sister was aged eight, the court heard.

His mother made a complaint to gardai and the teenager was arrested.

During interviews with gardai he admitted removing his half-sister's clothes and masturbating while looking at her.

He also admitted inappropriately touching her.

The teenager said that he was copying things that he had seen on a popular pornographic website.

Horror

In a victim impact statement which was read out in court, the mother of the injured party described the shock and horror she experienced upon discovering what her son had been doing to her daughter.

"My daughter's innocence has been violated under the most cruel circumstances imaginable," she said.

She said she had believed that her children were protected from the outside world before making her discovery.

"I am grieving on two fronts; for my daughter and for my lost son," she added.

The mother said that she was only beginning to contemplate some level of forgiveness for her son.

She said that her daughter had nightmares and that she worried about her half-brother reappearing to follow through on threats he made during the abuse.

She said she hoped her daughter had not been damaged beyond repair.

The garda agreed with Thomas Creed SC, defending, that the teenager had lived with his father since the abuse was discovered and that he is currently performing well in school.

His father has taken away his smartphone and the teenager's current phone cannot access the internet.

The teenager has no previous convictions and has not come to the attention of gardai since his arrest.

Mr Justice Michael White ordered that reports be made available to the court and adjourned the matter to February 19.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News