herald

Thursday 23 November 2017

Teenager accused of 150kmph car chase

A 17-YEAR-OLD boy arrested for leading gardai on a 150kmph car chase along the M50 in Dublin has been served with a book of evidence at the Children's Court.

The teenager, who was accompanied to his case by his mother, did not make an application for bail. Judge Heather Perrin made an order sending the case forward to the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Legal aid was granted and the youth was remanded in custody pending his trial.

The high-speed pursuit began after the teenager narrowly missed running over a garda, it had been alleged at an earlier stage in the case.

He is charged with reckless endangerment of life arising out of a chase that allegedly began in Kylemore Road, west Dublin, on February 24.





Revved

Outlining the allegations, Garda Gerard Glynn had told the court previously that he and a colleague signalled the vehicle to stop when they found it in a car park.

The driver halted but revved the engine again and started to speed off as one garda was walking in front of the car.

The boy allegedly sped along the M50 northbound until he reached the M1, then passed Dublin Airport and took the turn off for Swords, the court had heard.

"He reached speeds of up to 150kmph, conditions were wet and it was raining. At the Swords exit he lost control and collided with a roundabout," the garda said.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News