Thursday 14 December 2017

Teen girl used bottle to slash her victim's face and breast

HORROR: Woman scarred in unprovoked attack

A Lucan teenager who slashed another woman's face and breast with a broken bottle in an unprovoked attack, leaving her victim with permanent scarring, will be sentenced next month.

Ciara Carney (19) of Earlsfort Gardens, Lucan, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to assaulting Deena Jones on July 2009, on Newcastle Road.

Garda Rory O'Sullivan told James Dwyer, prosecuting, that the victim was socialising with her friends in Lucan on the night, and on their way home to Hillcrest they saw four girls walking towards them.

Ms James told gardai that all she remembered was "one of them came over to me and struck me over the head".

"It felt like a punch at the start, but then I was bleeding all over and realised that it was a bottle she attacked me with," Ms Jones said in her statement.

Her friends called an ambulance and her then partner, Denis Gallagher, ran after the four girls but lost them after Carney got in the passenger seat of a car which was waiting at traffic lights.


The driver of the car let her into the passenger seat after she had banged on the window and drove her home as he thought she was being chased.

Mr Gallagher ran back to Ms Jones and an ambulance was called. She was brought to James Connolly Memorial Hospital where she received emergency treatment to the eight- centimetre laceration on the side of her face and the seven- centimetre laceration on her left breast.

Carney was arrested the following day but initially only admitted she was at the scene. Later she admitted breaking the bottle over Ms Jones and said: "I don't know how I caused it. I was drunk really and I have a problem with drink."

Garda O'Sullivan said Carney, who has four previous convictions, asked him to tell her victim that she was "really sorry". Mr Dwyer said Ms Jones is on anti-depressants, suffers panic attacks and has stopped working. She has since returned home to her parents in Tyrone following the attack.

Marie Torrens, defending, said the attack was "an unprovoked one" and Carney did not know her victim.

"The defendant has a chaotic background and was in quite a state on the night. She was only 17 at the time she attacked her victim and she acknowledges she has a difficulty with alcohol," said Ms Torrens.


"The defendant has been diagnosed with ADHD and when she drank, she ended up in verbal and physical fights but she is now availing of addiction services," said Ms Torrens.

Judge Donagh McDonagh adjourned sentencing until November for an updated probation report and ordered that Carney sign on weekly at Ronanstown Garda Station.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News