| -2.1°C Dublin

Teen beat up man for no reason, court told

A YOUTH has been banned from Dublin city-centre after a court heard claims he rained kicks and punches on a Turkish man for "no apparent reason" during a gang attack.

The 17-year-old boy has been charged with engaging in a violent disorder and assault causing harm to the man, who is in his mid-twenties, at Fleet Street, in Dublin city centre, on August 11 last.

 

Serious

Dublin Children's Court heard yesterday that the man had gone a shop and was making his way back to his hotel when he was set on by a gang.

Presiding Judge Ann Ryan held that the case was too serious to be heard in the city's juvenile court.

She said she had "no hesitation" in refusing jurisdiction and ruled that it should be sent to the Circuit Court which can impose harsher sentences.

The youth, who cannot be identified because he is a minor, was then returned for trial.

The boy was described as having "a chaotic lifestyle" and engaging in "risk-taking behaviour".

He has not yet indicated how he will plead to the charges, and was warned that, pending trial, he must obey a 10pm to 9am curfew, stay out of Dublin city-centre and not associate with a group of named youths.

Garda Jennifer Weldon described in court how she had been on plain clothes patrol in the Temple Bar area and had the teenager under surveillance.

She told Judge Ryan that the boy had been with a number of youths "continually bumping into members of the public to incite a reaction".

At Fleet Street they came across the Turkish man and the teenager allegedly instigated the attack which was captured on CCTV.

Garda Weldon said she witnessed the incident and security camera footage would show the boy punching the man, and "kicking him in the body area".

The Turkish man suffered a cut lip, bruised face and his nose was injured, the juvenile court was told.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy