Taxi-row accused cleared of assault
A DUBLIN man has been cleared of assaulting another man who was allegedly beaten unconscious and left with facial injuries after a taxi queue dispute in the city centre.
Patrick McGrath (32) had the case against him dismissed after a judge ruled that there was "not a shred of evidence" that Mr McGrath was one of the two attackers.
Mr McGrath, of Westway Park, Blanchardstown, had pleaded not guilty to assaulting Vincent Moran at Rathmines Road Lower on May 4, 2003.
Mr Moran said in evidence he had been on a "random night out" with friends at The Barge on Charlemont Street, followed by The Odeon. He had had 13 pints and was coming home past St Mary's Rugby Club at around 3.30am.
His friend Brian Kelly flagged a taxi down and a couple jumped into it. During a row, Mr Moran said he was punched in the jaw and fell to the ground.