herald

Thursday 14 December 2017

Sex attack suspect 'caught on top of woman', court told

'The man, who claims to have no memory of the incident, was remanded in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on October 18' (stock photo)
'The man, who claims to have no memory of the incident, was remanded in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on October 18' (stock photo)

A man charged with sexually assaulting a woman in Dublin city centre has been refused bail after a court heard he was caught red-handed and had to be physically separated from her.

The 35-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared at Dublin District Court yesterday charged with sexual assault and an offence under the Criminal Law (Rape) Act.

The accused, who is originally from Romania, had been arrested over a serious sexual assault in the early hours of Monday in Parnell Place.

The man, who claims to have no memory of the incident, was remanded in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on October 18.

Garda Les O'Rourke told Judge John Lindsay that the accused made no reply when he was charged.

The man listened to the proceedings through an interpreter but did not address the court.

Objecting to bail, Gda O'Rourke cited the nature of evidence in support of the charges.

He said CCTV footage had been obtained from four locations and the incident was also captured by a witness on a mobile phone.

He said an officer discovered the alleged rape in progress at 3.50am.

The garda caught the accused with his pants down and he was on top of the victim, the court heard.

Separated

It was alleged that an officer told him to stop three times but he refused and "had to be physically separated from her", Gda O'Rourke said.

The woman was brought to a sexual assault treatment unit, and further serious charges could be brought, he said.

The accused was interviewed and admitted being in the area the evening before but denied any knowledge of the incident, Gda O'Rourke added.

He said the CCTV evidence showed him in the woman's company seconds beforehand but did not show the events.

He agreed with defence solicitor Mark O'Sullivan that the accused did not have a warrant history and had not been a suspect in a serious case before. He also said the woman did not know the man.

Gda O'Rourke said it was his belief that the accused had been caught red-handed by two of his colleagues.

He agreed that when interviewed the man denied it and said: "It's impossible."

Pleading for bail, Mr O'Sullivan said his client had lived in Ireland for a number of years, was in full-time employment and had ties to the jurisdiction - family members living here.

He submitted that his client had no warrant history and would abide by bail terms and provide a cash lodgement.

Legal aid was granted and the judge acceded to a request from Mr O'Sullivan to direct medical attention for the accused in custody.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News