Saturday 16 December 2017

Second man charged with 2009 gun murder

Graham McNally: Shot
Graham McNally: Shot
Glen McGrath was shot three times in the upper body while enjoying drinks in the Cappagh House in Finglas, on December 30th, 2010

A SECOND man has appeared in court charged in connection with the gun murder of Finglas man Graham McNally over five years ago.

Gary Thompson (30) replied “I’m innocent” after he was charged by gardai, a court heard.

Judge David McHugh remanded Mr Thompson in custody to appear before Cloverhill District Court on Tuesday, December 2.

Mr Thompson must apply to the High Court for bail on a murder charge.

The accused, with an address at Plunkett Drive in Finglas, appeared before Blanchardstown District Court charged with the murder of Graham McNally (34).

The alleged incident took place at Coldwinters in Finglas on January 20, 2009.

Mr McNally was shot dead and his body then found in a ditch on the old Dublin to Derry road. He had been shot at least five times in the head.

Detective Sergeant Gavin Ross said he arrested Mr Thompson at 7.50am this morning.

Sgt Ross said Mr Thompson was taken to Finglas Garda Station where he was later charged with murder by Sergeant Paul Fanning.

Sgt Ross said that Mr Thompson was handed a true copy of the charge sheet.

The sergeant said that in reply to the charge after caution, Mr Thompson said: “I’m innocent.”

Sgt Ross applied to the court for Mr Thompson to be remanded in custody.

The court heard that Mr Thompson is unemployed

and on social welfare and defence solicitor Terence Hanahoe was assigned on free legal aid.

Mr Thompson, who was wearing a navy tracksuit, did not address the court during the short hearing.

The killing of Mr McNally has been the subject of a massive investigation by gardai based at Finglas and detectives at the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (NBCI.)

Gardai arrested and brought charges against another Finglas man at the weekend in relation to the murder.

Glen McGrath (44) with an address at McKelvey Avenue in Finglas was brought

before Dublin District Court on Saturday morning where he was charged with McNally’s murder and remanded in custody to appear before Cloverhill District Court where he was due to appear later today.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News