| -0.1°C Dublin

Reveller headbutted a garda in the face at station


Kenneth Lamb injured two garda who tried to help him

Kenneth Lamb injured two garda who tried to help him

Kenneth Lamb injured two garda who tried to help him

A MAN arrested at the scene of a brawl outside a nightclub headbutted and injured a garda sergeant who called a doctor to tend to him.

Kenneth Lamb (24) had suffered an injured hand in the incident and a doctor was called for him at a garda station.

When he was woken up in his cell, Lamb headbutted and injured the sergeant.

Judge Bryan Smyth adjourned the case for a restorative justice programme report.

Lamb, of Cielito, Blackglen Road, Sandyford, pleaded guilty to causing a breach of the peace at the Dandelion Club, St Stephen's Green on February 23 last and assault causing harm to Sergeant Ian Lambe at Kevin Street Garda Station.

Dublin District Court heard Lamb had been earlier out celebrating his brother's 30th birthday and "a third party" started a brawl.

When gardai arrived, Lamb was being restrained on the ground.

He told gardai to "f*** off" several times and was arrested. At the garda station, he was brought to the doctor's room with a large cut to his hand. The wound was washed and wrapped with a cloth while a doctor was called. When he arrived, Sgt Lambe brought the doctor to the accused's cell.

Lamb was asleep and the sergeant placed a hand on his shoulder. The accused got up and as he walked out of the cell, he headbutted the sergeant to the face.

A struggle ensued in which Sgt Lambe was punched three times to the head. He suffered a cut over his eye and bruising, but made a full recovery.

Lamb's only previous convictions were for motoring offences. He had been out drinking with his brother on the night, his barrister Cathal O Braonain said.

"It was out of character for him and may have something to do with the fact that he was roused," he said of the assault.

The accused was a qualified welder. Judge Smyth adjourned the case to a date in January.