Friday 22 March 2019

Pub robbery accused in court with broken ribs and 30 stitches in head

Derek Foran has been charged with attempting to rob the Speaker Connolly pub in Firhouse
Derek Foran has been charged with attempting to rob the Speaker Connolly pub in Firhouse

An injured man has been charged following an attempted robbery at a Dublin pub that ended when the alleged raider was tackled by customers.

Derek Foran (33) appeared in court with a bandaged head and fingers and with heavy facial bruising after he was arrested at The Speaker Conolly Pub in Firhouse on New Year's Day.

Judge John King granted him bail but remanded him in custody until he is able to take it up.


Mr Foran, a father-of-one from Allenton Avenue in Tallaght, is charged with attempting to rob Jason Doyle, the pub's acting manager, on January 1.

The accused, who was wearing a red hooded top bearing the logo "Animal" and black tracksuit bottoms, had two black eyes when he was taken before Dublin District Court.

He had two fractured ribs, a fractured finger and had received 30 stitches to his head, the court heard.

Garda James Ward told Judge King he arrested Mr Foran at The Speaker Conolly Pub at 11.40pm on January 1.

He was taken to Tallaght Garda Station, where he was charged at 8.08pm on Tuesday.

The accused made no reply to the charge after caution.

Objecting to bail, Gda Ward cited the seriousness of the charge. He told Judge King he had concerns the accused would not turn up in court and would interfere with prospective witnesses.

Speaker Connolly pub in Firhouse
Speaker Connolly pub in Firhouse

Judge King said he did not believe the garda's objections were very strong and granted bail.

He said there was a "very serious charge here", but Mr Foran has a presumption of innocence.

Defence barrister John Griffin said Mr Foran was living with his mother in Tallaght.

The judge set bail in the accused's own bond of €300, with no cash required.

However, he did require an independent surety of €1,000, half of which is to be lodged in cash.

Conditions are that he resides at his home address, observes a curfew between 10pm and 6am, signs on daily at Tallaght Garda Station and has no contact, directly or indirectly, with witnesses.


Mr Griffin said the accused had appointments at Tallaght Hospital and the Eye and Ear Hospital this week to treat his injuries.

The judge made a recommendation to the prison governor that the accused receives all necessary medical treatment.

He remanded Mr Foran in custody with consent to bail, to appear at Cloverhill District Court on January 9.

He granted legal aid after Mr Griffin said the defendant was unemployed.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News