One man hurt, two arrested in violent clash outside court
One man was taken to hospital and two were arrested after violence erupted on the street outside Dublin's Criminal Courts of Justice.
The injured man had been on his way to give evidence as the alleged victim in an assault case when he was set upon by a group of men on Parkgate Street, a court heard.
Several garda cars arrived to provide emergency assistance and an ambulance took the injured man to hospital for treatment to a head wound.
There were chaotic scenes as the violent incident kicked-off before the court sitting began at 10.30am.
The trial, due to take place in Dublin District Court, had to be postponed and adjourned to another date.
A defence lawyer said the two accused men were also attacked by people who had turned up and were "waiting for them".
The incident was described as the prosecution asked Judge John Lindsay to adjourn the assault trial because the alleged victim was in hospital.
Judge Lindsay agreed and put the case back to a hearing date next year.
John Maughan (21), of Eugene Street, Dublin, and Martin Maughan (20), of Palmerstown Woods, Clondalkin, are charged with assault causing harm to another man, Martin Maughan (22), at Cloverhill Road, Clondalkin, on April 22 last year.
They are pleading not guilty to the charges.
There was no suggestion that either of the accused men or the alleged victim were involved in assaulting anyone outside court yesterday.
When the case was called, state solicitor Mairead White said there had been a public order incident and the alleged injured party had been taken to hospital.
"Aside from the issues occurring, we were ready to go on," Ms White said of the contested case.
Det Gda Emma Ryan, of Store Street Garda Station, told the court in evidence that she responded to an emergency assistance call at the Criminal Courts of Justice.
Numerous vehicles were sent, and when the gardai arrived a man was on the ground outside the Londis shop on Parkgate Street, she said.
He was removed to hospital with a wound to the back of his head.
The officer said she was aware there were ongoing incidents between two families.
Gda Thomas Conway then told the court that the alleged victim in the case had phoned him while he was on the way to hospital to say he had been assaulted.
Defence barrister Joe Mulrean told the court that the two accused men had themselves been "attacked outside court" by people who had been "waiting for them".
The two had requested the trial be held in the CCJ rather than Blanchardstown Court because they feared for their safety.
They were in court and wanted the case to proceed.
Another family member was in court to support the accused and had visible injuries, Mr Mulrean said.
"We should be careful - we don't know what happened," Ms White said of yesterday's incident. Judge Lindsay said the net point was that the alleged victim was not available to give evidence, and for this reason he agreed to the request for an adjournment.
The case was adjourned to a date next year and the judge said the prosecution should have a medical report on the alleged victim's injuries on the next date.
The two accused men were remanded on continuing bail.
They were not required to address the court during the proceedings.