Friday 22 February 2019

Murder accused 'swore on his baby daughter's life he didn't do it', trial hears

Keogh and Fox deny murder
Keogh and Fox deny murder

A Dublin man accused of murdering Gareth Hutch swore on his baby daughter's life and told his ex-girlfriend he had not killed him, a trial has heard.

Denise King said she knew there was a threat on the life of her ex-boyfriend Jonathan Keogh (32), and when his sister visited her soon after the killing and asked her to bring an envelope of cash to him she decided "f**k it, I'll go to Belfast".

She later counted the cash and there was €2,000.

Ms King was giving evidence before the Special Criminal Court in the trial of two men and a woman charged with the murder of Mr Hutch.

Mr Keogh (32), his sister Regina Keogh (41) and Thomas Fox (31) have denied the murder of Mr Hutch on May 24, 2016.

Mr Hutch (36) was shot dead outside Avondale House flats on North Cumberland Street.

It is the State's case that Mr Keogh, of Gloucester Place, Dublin 1, threatened to kill Mr Hutch the evening before the shooting.

It is alleged Mr Fox, of Rutland Court, Dublin 1, and Ms Keogh, of Avondale House, were instrumental in planning the murder, and Mr Keogh and another man were the shooters.

Ms King said she had been in a relationship with Mr Keogh but it ended in November 2015.

They had no contact until March 2016, a week before she gave birth to their daughter.


After she had the baby, Ms King said Mr Keogh started coming up to see his daughter.

Ms King said there were security cameras near her flat and "due to the threat on his life" he felt safe there.

Mr Keogh stayed in her home on the Sunday and Monday nights before the murder.

On the Monday, he came into her home about 1am, and she later overheard him on his phone saying he'd had "a fight with the Hutch fella".

On the day Mr Hutch was killed, Ms King said she met a friend in the park. She was at home, some time after 2.30pm, when Regina Keogh arrived.

Ms King said Ms Keogh had money in her hand and asked her to bring it to Belfast.

Ms King said she did believe Mr Keogh had a threat on his life and he was scared. She told prosecutor Paul Burns SC she knew this because he had shown her three GIM (Garda Information Message) forms.

She said Mr Keogh told her a number of times that he planned to leave the country.

When she arrived in Belfast on May 24, 2016, Ms King went to her sister's home. Mr Keogh rang her. He was in a pub. She said she asked him, "what are you doing in a pub if your life is in danger?".

Ms King said another woman organised a hotel room for her and Mr Keogh that night.

When they went to the room, Ms King said she asked Mr Keogh if he shot Mr Hutch.

He swore on the baby's life that he didn't do it.

Ms King "left it at that" and gave him the money.

The next morning, Mr Keogh got his hair cut, bought a new grey tracksuit and then got the ferry to Scotland. He seemed "sad", she said. Ms King then took the bus back to Dublin.

The trial continues.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News