| 7.2°C Dublin

Mum-of-two tried to stab woman while 'at low point in life'


Mum-of-two Serena O'Leary

Mum-of-two Serena O'Leary

Collins Courts.

Mum-of-two Serena O'Leary

A Cork mother-of-two showed up at an acquaintance's home with a knife and went to stab her because of something she thought the woman had said, a court has heard.

Detective Garda Conor O'Byrne revealed that Serena O'Leary (43) had told Caroline Madden she had a "bone to pick" with her while at a mutual friend's house the previous night.

The next morning, Ms Madden opened her door to O'Leary, who she later described as soaking wet, wearing the same clothes and smelling of alcohol.

O'Leary got angry, accused Ms Madden of saying something to her partner about her and produced a nine inch blade.

Ms Madden managed to grab O'Leary's arm to stop her from stabbing her in the stomach.

O'Leary threatened her, saying: "You mess with me, I'm going to kill you".

She punched Ms Madden in the face and resumed threatening her until the injured party's brother came down the stairs and ejected O'Leary from the premises.


O'Leary, of Edel House Residential Centre, Grattan Street, Cork, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to assaulting Ms Madden, causing her harm, at Cathedral View Walk, Dublin, on August 20, 2016.

She had nine previous convictions.

Det Gda O'Byrne agreed with Bernard Condon SC, defending, that the injured party has since put the matter behind her.

Mr Condon submitted to Judge Melanie Greally that his client had her house repossessed and she ended up coming to Dublin while she was in a relationship.

He said that relationship was destructive, involved the use of heroin, cocaine and alcohol, and led to her sleeping rough and becoming very unwell.

He said his client was back in Cork, had no ongoing problems and was working on sobriety.

Judge Greally noted that this incident coincided with "a low point of the accused's life".

She said she had more options in sentencing as the knife had not inflicted any injuries.

She ordered an updated report from the Probation Service and adjourned sentencing until March 28.