Mugging case teen told to cut out drink
A 16-YEAR-OLD boy who allegedly threatened to throw two teens from a Luas bridge during a mugging has been further remanded in custody.
At Dublin Children's Court, Judge Clare Leonard heard that the teenager, who has spent about half his life in care, was consenting to be held in custody for a further four weeks to allow time for directions from the DPP to be obtained.
His counsel said efforts were also being made to find a new care home placement for the boy.
Judge Leonard said the teenager had a difficult life but had been offered a lot of help which he needed to take. She also said he needed to stay off alcohol and drugs.
The boy is charged with robbing two boys aged 12 and 14, at Charlemont Street, in south Dublin, on January 17. He is also awaiting sentence for possessing a knife in public, in Sandymount, in south Dublin, on December 18 last, which he admitted.
His previous placements in HSE care homes failed due to him being too aggressive, the court has also heard.
His social worker had said previous care home placements he had been given had broken down because of "his aggressive behaviour".
The court was told that the boy and an 18-year-old co-defendant, allegedly approached a number of youths aged 12 to 14 and threatened them with physical violence that if they did not hand over their mobile phones they would pick them up and throw them over the Luas bridge.