| 10°C Dublin

Mother-of-5 jailed for Hutch murder seeks 'live' appeal


Murderer Regina Keogh

Murderer Regina Keogh

Murderer Regina Keogh

A woman found guilty of the murder of Gareth Hutch wants the Court of Appeal to sit physically to hear an appeal against her conviction, rather than remotely, as the three-judge court has been doing in recent weeks.

Mother-of-five Regina Keogh (42) was said to have "colluded" with her brother to cause serious injury to Mr Hutch (36), who was shot four times as he was getting into his car in Dublin on the morning of May 24, 2016.


Keogh, with an address at Avondale House, Cumberland Street North, Dublin 1, had denied murdering Mr Hutch, but was found guilty at the non-jury Special Criminal Court and was sentenced to life imprisonment following a trial in 2018.

Her brother, Jonathan Keogh (34), with an address at Gloucester Place, Dublin 1, and Thomas Fox (32), with an address at Rutland Court, Dublin 1, were also found guilty of murder. All three had denied the charge.

Regina Keogh has lodged an appeal against her conviction, which is waiting to be heard in the Court of Appeal.

At a remote call-over of cases in the court yesterday, which was conducted using video conferencing, more than a dozen cases were given dates for remote hearings.

However, lawyers for Keogh indicated their preference for a 'live' physical hearing.

Her barrister, Amy Heffron, said her client also wanted a physical hearing.

President of the Court of Appeal Mr Justice George Birmingham put the matter back and said "none of us know how long this situation is going to remain".

If the wish for a physical hearing changes, Mr Justice Birmingham said the case could be relisted and a date could be given for a remote hearing.

The prosecution case was that Keogh was "instrumental" in planning the murder of Gareth Hutch by encouraging her "best friend" and neighbour of 16 years to allow Jonathan Keogh to use her flat "as a base" for the attack.

The three-judge Special Criminal Court heard Regina Keogh went up to her friend's flat on the night before the shooting and gave her rubber gloves to be used by the attackers the following day.