Saturday 16 December 2017

'Monster' knifed mum and daughter over 70 times in horror attack

The remains of Jolanta Lubiene and her daughter Enrika at the foot of the alter at their funeral mass in Lithuania
The remains of Jolanta Lubiene and her daughter Enrika at the foot of the alter at their funeral mass in Lithuania
Jolanta Lubiene and her eight year old daughter, Enrika, who were murdered in Killorglin, Co Kerry
Aurimas Andruska at a previous court appearance

The sister of a Lithuanian woman and her eight-year-old daughter murdered in Kerry nearly four years ago has said she would still describe the man who killed them as a monster.

Speaking after the inquests into the deaths of her sister Jolanta Lubiene (27) and niece Enrika, Kristina Kuleviciene said the hearing had brought finality to the family.

Marius Lubys, the husband and father of the deceased, described his daughter as "the best little girl".

A jury at the inquests returned a verdict of unlawful killing in accordance with the findings of the post-mortem examinations.


The verdict also recorded their deaths on June 16, 2013.

Lithuanian national Aurimas Andruska is serving two concurrent life sentences for the murders on a date between June 15 and 17, 2013. An appeal by him to overturn his convictions was unsuccessful.

Ms Lubiene and her daughter Enrika were found dead in the home they shared at 9 Langford Downs, Killorglin, Co Kerry on June 17, 2013 by Ms Lubiene's friend Ramute Narmute, who raised the alarm.

Ms Lubiene had received at least 61 stab wounds to the thorax, abdomen, neck, arms, legs and back in a "sustained and violent sharp-weapon attack".

Dr Margot Bolster's post- mortem examination of Enrika revealed she had received 11 stab wounds and some superficial wounds. Both died from haemorrhage and shock due to multiple stab wounds.

Ms Narmute told the inquest she became concerned when Ms Lubiene had not returned any of her texts or calls.

When she called at the house on Sunday evening, she could see Ms Lubiene's body lying on the kitchen floor and she could hear her dog barking.


She said she knew she was dead because the colour had drained from her face and she was white.

"I could see the blood on the stairs and the body on the floor of the kitchen. I thought it was a man at first but then I saw the black hair and I knew it was Jolanta," she said.

She and her husband reported what she had seen at the garda station. Gda Eamon Prenderville told the inquest he entered the house through the back door, which was unlocked. The other doors were locked and the curtains of the front bay window were firmly shut.

He saw a woman's body on the kitchen floor. He said there was blood staining in the utility room, kitchen and hallway.

He began to cordon off the scene but later, when he returned to the garda station, he learned Ms Lubiene had a young daughter. When he returned, he found Enrika lying on the landing.

The deposition of Det Insp Fearghall Patwell, read out by Supt Flor Murphy, said Andruska was identified through a profile of his DNA that was found on Enrika's top.

A fingerprint in Ms Lubiene's blood found on the wall of the stairs, matched a sample given voluntarily by him to gardai.

He was convicted of the double murder in November 2014, following a five-week trial.

Addressing the family following the inquest, Supt Murphy said he hoped it brought them "solace and comfort" that an appeal by Andruska on his conviction had been rejected at the Court of Criminal Appeal.

Coroner Terence Casey paid tribute to the gardai on their investigation that brought the perpetrator to justice in such a short time.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News