herald

Thursday 17 October 2019

McGregor's 10-second knockout as uninsured driving case scrubbed

Conor McGregor leaves Dublin District Court after the case was struck out
Conor McGregor leaves Dublin District Court after the case was struck out

MMA star Conor McGregor has had the latest motoring case against him struck out by a court in less than 10 seconds.

The UFC fighter (30) appeared in Dublin District Court yesterday accused of uninsured and unlicensed driving - the second time in less than three weeks that he has come before a judge to answer road traffic offences.

However, Judge Geraldine Carthy dismissed the case at the request of gardai after his documents were produced in advance of the brief hearing.

Minders

McGregor, of Laraghcon, Lucan, was accused of driving without insurance or a licence and failing to produce documents at a garda station within 10 days of being stopped driving at Grove Road, Rathmines, last July 10.

McGregor, who was wearing a navy suit, white shirt and purple tie, arrived at the Criminal Courts of Justice shortly after 10.30am in a car with blacked-out back passenger windows.

He walked, flanked by minders, to the entrance and through a throng of reporters and photographers.

After a consultation with his solicitor, Graham Kenny, he remained in the corridor outside the packed courtroom until minutes before the case was called.

He stood in the public gallery and was seen smiling and chatting with RTE crime correspondent Paul Reynolds.

When the case was called, Mr Kenny told Judge Carthy he appeared for the accused, who came forward from the back of the courtroom.

Gda Keith Dolan made an application for the case to be struck out on behalf of prosecuting garda Gavin Kelly.

"Strike out all matters," Judge Carthy said.

McGregor nodded and murmured "thanks", then made his way out of the courtroom after a hearing that lasted less than 10 seconds.

Less than three weeks ago at Naas District Court, he was banned from driving for six months and fined €1,000 for speeding.

McGregor was caught driving at 154kph in a 100kph zone on the N7 in Co Kildare in the incident last year, and failed to pay the fixed penalty fine due to an administrative error, Naas District Court was told during that hearing.

Judge Desmond Zaidan noted at the time that McGreg-or had 12 previous motoring convictions and said he was fortunate he was not charged with careless or dangerous driving.

Guilty

McGregor had pleaded guilty to breaking the speed limit at Blackchurch on the N7 at Kill, Co Kildare, on October 11 last year.

In November last year, he was fined €400 for speeding in a separate incident on the Naas Road after he pleaded guilty at Blanchardstown District Court.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News