Sunday 27 May 2018

Man shot in stomach a month ago now loses €60k hit-and-run case

Jonathan Kenny denied being the man who had been shot
Jonathan Kenny denied being the man who had been shot

A Dublin man who was shot and left lying on a pavement has lost a €60,000 personal injuries claim after he was injured in a taxi following a hit-and-run accident.

Jonathan Kenny (32), of Monasterboice Road in Crumlin, called the outcome of his case "disgraceful".

Mr Kenny had taken a civil suit against taxi driver Michael McGuinness of Galtymore Road, Drimnagh, Dublin, and the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) following an accident on January 26, 2014, that was witnessed by gardai.

Mr Kenny was "an innocent passenger" in the taxi when it collided with another car at a roundabout in Crumlin whose driver fled the scene and was never traced, the Dublin Circuit Civil Court heard.

He sued for personal injuries sustained in the accident. They are understood to be soft tissue injuries.

However, Judge Jacqueline Linnane dismissed the proceedings on legal grounds.

She ruled the MIBI - which compensates victims involved in accidents with uninsured drivers or untraceable drivers - should not have been named as a co-defendant with Mr McGuinness and the cases should have been tried separately. Barrister Conor Kearney, representing Mr Kenny, said he intends to appeal the decision.

When asked about last month's shooting incident, Mr Kenny denied that he is the same Jonathan Kenny who was found with gunshot wounds to the stomach outside a house on Monasterboice Road on June 20.

"It's not me. Do I look like I was shot?" he told the Herald following yesterday's hearing.

However, a source confirmed he was indeed the same man.

Jonathan is the brother of Ian Kenny (22), who died in 2009 after spending two years in a coma after being shot by childhood friend Jonathan Dunne in Stillorgan in July 2007.

It's understood the shooting was linked to a feud between Ian Kenny and a criminal gang.


Dunne (28), from Windmill Park in Crumlin, claimed he was forced to carry out the shooting following a death threat. He was convicted of Ian Kenny's murder in 2012 and jailed for life.

Since then, the Kenny home has been fitted with numerous CCTV cameras after a guard was also shot while standing outside the house.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News