| 17°C Dublin

Man shared child porn in WhatsApp group, court is told

Close

Accused Shane Carberry

Accused Shane Carberry

Accused Shane Carberry

A man has been accused of sharing a video containing child pornography with members of a WhatsApp group at a business in Dublin.

Shane Carberry (28) was granted bail and had the case adjourned when he appeared at Dublin District Court.

Mr Carberry, of Howth Road, Killester, is charged with possession of child pornography at premises in East Wall Road on January 17 last year.

Intimate

The charge alleges it was one video showing for sexual purposes intimate parts of a child or person depicted as a child.

Mr Carberry is also charged with knowingly distributing child pornography at the same location.

Garda Emma Ryan said she charged the accused before the court sitting and he made no reply to either count. He was handed copies of the charge sheets.

Gda Ryan said there was no objection to the accused being granted bail.

The DPP was consenting to the case being dealt with summarily at district court level, subject to a judge accepting jurisdiction.

Judge Ann Ryan asked for an outline of the allegations so she could consider this.

Gda Ryan said it was alleged a video was sent in a WhatsApp group of four members and contained child pornography.

Judge Ryan asked the garda if it was alleged to have contained "what the charge sheet outlines". The garda replied: "Yes, judge."

Judge Ryan accepted jurisdiction, which means the case can remain at district court level instead of going for trial to Dublin Circuit Criminal Court, which has greater potential sentencing powers on conviction.

Disclosure

The judge ordered disclosure of prosecution material to the defence at the request of Mr Carberry's solicitor, Luke Staines.

The court heard this would be furnished in due course.

Judge Ryan granted bail in the accused's own bond of €200, with no cash lodgment required.

Gda Ryan confirmed no bail conditions were required.

The judge remanded Mr Carberry on bail to appear in court again on a date in November to indicate how he intends to plead to the charges.

The accused was not required to address the court during the brief hearing and left after signing his bail bond.