Sunday 21 January 2018

Man lost his foot after car attack, assault case told

A Dublin man has gone on trial accused of running over a man he found in his ex-girlfriend's house, causing him to lose a foot.

Mr Joseph Cullen (42) is accused of beating the man and hitting him twice with a car after chasing him from his former partner's home.

Cullen, of Adare Avenue, Coolock, has pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to assault causing harm and causing serious harm to Mr Kevin Byrne on March 8, 2008, at St Helena's Road, Finglas.

Mr Byrne gave evidence that he was on a work night out and was sharing a taxi home with two fellow employees. The taxi dropped one of them home while he and Ms Jackie White continued on to her house.

Mr Byrne told prosecuting counsel, Mr Sean Guerin, that he wanted to use the bathroom so he went into Ms White's house and the taxi drove off. He said Ms White indicated that she was going upstairs to use the bathroom and he sat downstairs.

He said shortly after there were two loud bangs at the front door and Ms White came down the stairs. He said a man entered the house, looked at him and roared. He said Ms White then told the man, "It's only Kevin from work".

Mr Byrne said the man then went into the kitchen and opened a cutlery drawer. He said Ms White followed and shouted, "No Joey. Run Kevin".

Mr Byrne said he ran out of the house and down the road, hearing the man chasing him and shouting, "I'm going to get you".

He said he continued running until he was hit by a car which sent him rolling down a hill. He said that when he stopped rolling, a car pulled up and three men, including the man from the house, got out and started to beat him.


He said they punched and kicked him for "a long time" and chipped his tooth before he was able to run away again.

He said he was struck again by the car which flipped him into he air.

He said when he landed on the ground his legs were underneath the car and it felt like his right leg was not there.

The witness said the three men got out and he pleaded with them to not attack him. One of the men said "he's had enough" and they got in the car and drove away. Mr Byrne said he had to undergo eight operations including one to amputate his right foot.

Mr Byrne told Mr Bernard Condon, defending, that he had five bottles of beer that night and considered himself sober.

Mr Condon asked him why Ms White went upstairs to use the bathroom when there was no bathroom up there. The witness replied that he was not aware of the layout of her house.

The case continues.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News