Man faces trial by jury after denying assault at GAA club
A Dublin man charged with assaulting and injuring a man at a GAA club in the west of the city is facing a jury trial after pleading not guilty.
Richard Walker (31) had the case against him adjourned at Blanchardstown District Court for the preparation of a book of evidence.
Mr Walker, of Ferrycarrig Road, Priorswood, Dublin 17, is charged with one count of assault causing harm to a man.
The offence is alleged to have happened at St Mary's GAA club in Saggart on July 15 last year.
Judge David McHugh was told that the DPP had consented to the case being dealt with at district court level on a guilty plea only.
Defence barrister Ciaran MacLoughlin said the accused was pleading not guilty, meaning he will be sent forward for jury trial to Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
Judge McHugh adjourned the case to a date in September, remanding Mr Walker on continuing bail.
He extended the time required for the preparation of the book of evidence.
Mr Walker stepped forward to the front of the courtroom when his case was called but was not required to speak during the brief hearing.
Previously, the prosecuting garda said she met the accused by appointment at Clondalkin Garda Station on April 6 last and he made no reply to the charge after caution.
Judge McHugh ordered disclosure of prosecution documents to the defence on the previous date.
Mr Walker's solicitor, Wayne Kenny, had told the court that he would be seeking a copy of the "referee's notebook" as part of disclosure.
The charge against the accused is under Section 3 of the Non Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.