Man denies 'slice' threat to sandwich shop boss
A DUBLIN man has denied threatening to "slice up" a sandwich bar manager with a machete over a drug debt.
Andre Walsh (41) is accused of making the threat by text message in an attempt to recoup €2,000 he was allegedly owed by the manager for cocaine.
He pleaded not guilty at Dublin District Court and the case against him was adjourned for hearing on a date in September.
Mr Walsh, with an address at Connaught Street, Phibsboro, is charged with one count of demanding money with menaces from the man at a city centre takeaway sandwich bar.
The offence allegedly happened on dates between May 1, 2014 and January 9, 2015.
Defence solicitor Stephen O'Mahony told the court Mr Walsh was pleading not guilty.
Previously, the court heard the alleged victim went to the gardai in December last year and stated that he had a debt for cocaine.
He claimed that he owed the defendant around €2,000 and that Mr Walsh had been threatening him via texts.
"He alleged he would slice him up with a machete at one point," a garda sergeant said.
It was alleged there had been a drugs transaction between the two men, he added.
Judge Cormac Dunne accepted jurisdiction to deal with the case. This means it can be dealt with in the District Court rather than being sent for jury trial to Dublin Circuit Criminal Court. The defendant was remanded on continuing bail.