| 16.9°C Dublin

Man charged with ramming garda car at high speed


Andrew Allen had new charges brought against him

Andrew Allen had new charges brought against him

Andrew Allen had new charges brought against him

A father-of-two is facing trial accused of reckless endangerment by ramming a garda car during a high-speed chase on the M50.

Andrew Allen (37) had already been charged with dangerous driving in the incident, but had new charges brought against him at Blanchardstown District Court.

Mr Allen is charged with recklessly engaging in ramming a marked garda car at a speed of around 60mph, creating a substantial risk of death or serious harm.

He is also charged with two counts of criminal damage, to the rear bumper and passenger doors of a patrol car, as well as uninsured driving.

The accused, who is un- employed and has an address in Blanchardstown, had already been charged with failing to stop for a garda and two counts of dangerous driving.

The offences are alleged to have happened at River Road and Ashtown Road, both in Castleknock, and other locations last October 7.

A garda witness said the accused made no comment when the new charges were put to him before the court. He was handed copies of the charge sheets.


A state solicitor said the DPP was directing trial on indictment, meaning the case will be sent to Dublin Circuit Criminal Court when a book of evidence is ready.

The circuit court has greater potential sentencing powers on conviction than the district court.

Judge David McHugh granted legal aid on the new charges, assigning solicitor John O'Doherty, and adjourned the case to a date next month.

Mr Allen has not yet indicated how he intends to plead.

Previously, the case was adjourned in his absence.

The accused had failed to appear in court when he was due to have the additional charges brought.

On that date, gardai had been present to bring the new charges, and Mr O'Doherty had said he had been unable to contact Mr Allen, who "usually does turn up".

At Mr Allen's first court appearance last year, Gda Paul Doona said in evidence that he arrested the accused in Leopardstown and took him to Blanchardstown Garda Station.

He also made no reply to the initial charges after caution.