Man charged with luring boy (12) to hotel sent for trial
A married father-of-three has been sent for trial accused of luring a boy from a Luas stop to a hotel and offering the 12-year-old €50 to touch him.
The 51-year-old is alleged to have asked the boy for dir- ections at a tram stop in west Dublin before taking him to a room in a nearby hotel.
The man, from Kilkenny, is charged with sexually exploiting a child at the Citywest Hotel, Saggart, on October 20 last year.
A book of evidence was served on him at Blanchardstown District Court yesterday.
He is on bail pending trial and has not yet indicated how he intends to plead.
A state solicitor told Judge David McHugh that the book of evidence was ready and the DPP was seeking a return for trial at the next sittings of Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
Judge McHugh gave the man the formal notice that he must provide any alibi details to the prosecution within 14 days.
He also ordered disclosure of the video of the defendant's garda interview to his lawyers.
The man was remanded on bail on existing terms and conditions to appear in the circuit court on October 20.
Defence solicitor John O'Doherty said there was no further application after the judge asked if the accused was applying for legal aid.
When he first appeared in court in June, Det Gda Kate Flood told the judge she arrested the man at his home address that morning and took him to Clondalkin Garda Station, where he was charged.
Det Gda Flood had objected to bail due to the seriousness of the alleged offence.
She said it would be alleged that the boy was approached at a west Dublin Luas stop by the accused, who asked him for directions to a nearby hotel.
Det Gda Flood added that the court would hear that the man offered to show the boy his hotel room and they went together to the room.
She said it would be further alleged that when they got to the room the man offered €50 to the 12-year-old if he touched him.
She said the boy left the room and contacted gardai.
Det Gda Flood said that later that night the man spoke to three gardai and said the boy had wanted to see the room because he heard someone famous had stayed there.
Previously, the man's bail conditions were adjusted to enable him to go on a family holiday.