herald

Monday 10 December 2018

Man accused of stealing over €3,800 in welfare, rent money

Ntite Nyangwile is charged with multiple counts of theft
Ntite Nyangwile is charged with multiple counts of theft

A man accused of stealing more than €3,500 in rent supplement and social welfare payments has been sent for trial.

Ntite Nyangwile (51) is also charged with making a number of false or misleading statements to the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.

The accused, of Buirg An Ri Glen, Lucan, appeared before Blanchardstown District Court charged with multiple counts of theft.

The estimated amount of money stolen is more than €3,800. It relates to rent supplement payments and social welfare payments which the accused allegedly received on various dates between 2005 and 2017.

Mr Nyangwile is also charged with knowingly making a false or misleading statement.

Evidence

These false statements were allegedly made to the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection on dates between 2008 and 2012.

State solicitor Michelle Sheeran said that the book of evidence was ready and had been served on the accused.

He goes forward to the next sittings of Dublin Circuit Criminal Court on charges one to 26, inclusive, in the book of evidence.

Judge David McHugh gave Mr Nyangwile the formal alibi caution.

Defence solicitor Julianne Hayden said Mr Nyangwile was not working, and the judge assigned Ms Hayden and one junior counsel on free legal aid.

Gardai said there was no objection to Mr Nyangwile being sent for trial on the same bail terms.

Judge McHugh ordered that a video copy of an interview which gardai conducted with the accused be furnished to his legal team.

Mr Nyangwile has not yet indicated a plea to the charges.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News