herald

Wednesday 19 June 2019

Man accused of €55,000 jewel theft must stay out of Dublin 2

A Dublin man has been acc-used of stealing gold and diamond rings worth more than €55,000 from a jewellery store. (stock photo)
A Dublin man has been acc-used of stealing gold and diamond rings worth more than €55,000 from a jewellery store. (stock photo)

A Dublin man has been accused of stealing gold and diamond rings worth more than €55,000 from a jewellery store.

Anthony Dolan (39) is alleged to have been identified from CCTV footage in which "he made no effort to cover his face".

Judge Ann Ryan granted him bail under strict conditions, including a ban on entering the Dublin 2 area.

Mr Dolan, of Summerhill in the north inner city, is accused of theft at fashion shop Atrium in Powerscourt Townhouse Shopping Centre on May 3.

Gda Joseph Heaphy told Dublin District Court it was alleged that the accused entered the store and stole 21 gold and diamond Chupi rings worth €55,221.

It would be the prosecution's case that there was a large amount of CCTV footage, the majority of it high-definition, and the accused was identifi- able from it.

The court heard the accused's home was searched and no items were found, though gardai were "keeping an open mind" and they "may be stored in another place".

No property was recovered.

risk

The maximum potential sentence on conviction was 10 years on indictment, the garda said.

Applying for bail, defence solicitor Tony Collier said nothing of evidential value had been found and no admissions had been made by the accused.

Gda Heaphy said Mr Dolan had admitted being present in the shopping centre but denied taking the property.

He agreed with Mr Collier that the case would be going to the circuit court given the value of the goods allegedly stolen.

Mr Dolan was living at his family home and gardai had no concern that he was a flight risk.

An "extensive file" was being prepared for the DPP, the court heard. Mr Dolan would abide by bail conditions such as a curfew, Mr Collier said.

Judge Ryan said the garda's objections were probably grounded on the "very considerable" size of the theft and the fact that the goods had not been recovered.

She granted bail under stringent conditions, including a €1,000 cash lodgment.

The accused must also sign on three times a week at his local garda station and stay out of the Dublin 2 area "in its entirety".

The case was adjourned to a date in July.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News