Friday 6 December 2019

Killer to serve extra week after phone found in his pants

Edward Byrne pleaded guilty
Edward Byrne pleaded guilty

A Dubliner jailed for his part in the brutal beating to death of a "model worker" has had an additional week added to his sentence after he was caught with a mini mobile phone in his underwear in prison.

Edward Byrne (28), who is serving a 12-year term for the 2010 manslaughter of Lukasz Rzeszutko (27), pulled the phone out and smashed it when he was taken for a search.

Judge Carol Anne Coolican gave him a consecutive one-week sentence.

Byrne, whose last address was the YMCA in Aungier Street, pleaded guilty to unlawfully having a phone in prison.

Gda Daniel Keaney told Dublin District Court Byrne was serving a sentence at Mountjoy Prison when he was taken to a search area last January 4.

He refused to comply with the search and took a mini- ature mobile phone from "his undergarments" and smashed it off the floor, Gda Keaney said.

It was recovered and the accused was later charged.

Gda Keaney said Byrne had 62 previous convictions, including one imposed last November for the same offence.

His most serious was the 12- year sentence he was given for manslaughter in 2012.

Byrne's release date is next month, and his lawyer asked the judge "not to prolong that sentence".

The accused would turn 29 in August and had spent nearly a third of his life in custody, his lawyer told the court. On release, he would live with his mother in Ballymun and hoped to re-enter the workforce.

He had used his time in custody productively and had attended a drug counsellor.

He apologised for his actions, and had no intention of coming to garda attention again, his solicitor said.


Mr Rzeszutko (27), from Poland, was found unconscious outside his workplace, the Kish Fish factory in the Newtown industrial estate in Coolock, on Oct- ober 2, 2010.

He had been so badly injured that his boss and colleague did not recognise him when they found him.

He died two days later in hospital of brain damage from "catastrophic" head injuries.

Byrne was jailed in 2012 after he pleaded guilty to manslaughter. He was one of three men convicted and sentenced over what the judge called a "mindless and savage" attack.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News