Friday 19 January 2018

Judge urges parties in Bellinter House Hotel case to settle dispute

Restaurateur Jay Bourke
Restaurateur Jay Bourke
Cora Dwyer

When Cora Dwyer signed an agreement with restaurateur and publican Jay Bourke to manage Bellinter House Hotel, which he co-owns with nightclub entrepreneur John Reynolds, he asked her: "Now what are you going to do for Uncle Jay," she told the High Court yesterday.

Dwyer claims she is entitled to the benefit of a five-year contract to manage the hotel with the Bourke Reynolds Partnership and seeks specific performance of an element of the deal which the joint owners deny ever existed.

Dwyer told Mr Justice Paul Gilligan that Bourke made the remark after they had both signed two copies of the five-year contract during negotiations that had taken place in the hotel library in early 2014.

She said Bourke had taken away both copies and she had not seen her copy since. He had told her that if she ever needed her copy he would produce it.

Judge Gilligan told both parties yesterday morning he had read a considerable amount of documentation and felt it was in both party's interests to see if the matter could be resolved.

He asked if Mr Reynolds, "one of the most astute businessmen in the city of Dublin," would have taken on a month- to-month tenancy of managing the hotel as was suggested Ms Dwyer had done.

Judge Gilligan later said an agreement with the previous managers of the hotel, which Ms Dwyer said she adapted for her own purposes of reaching agreement with Mr Bourke, contained a six-month termination clause which she said she had not noticed.

The Bourke Reynolds Parnership have denied that they had given Ms Dwyer a five-year lease.

Ms Dwyer told the court yesterday she now believed she had been used to continue management of the hotel until the owners had found a buyer for it. In January she had been given notice to quit.


She had in 2013 formed a new company, DCM Hotels Limited, to run the hotel, which she had attempted to buy for €1.9 million, and said she would not have taken it up on a month-to-month tenancy. She had booked weddings into August 2017.

The case is expected to last for another two days but Judge Gilligan, in adjourning the matter until today again prompted both parties to seek a solution to their difficulties.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News