| 6.6°C Dublin

John is 'confident' new probe will find Michaela's killer

JOHN MCAREAVEY'S lawyer today said he is confident a new police team established to carry out a fresh murder investigation can finally bring Michaela's killers to justice.

It's emerged that three senior officers have been tasked with leading a fresh probe, which could involve assistance from the gardai and the PSNI.

The team will be headed by Superintendent Yaswant Callee from the island's central criminal investigation division.

And speaking to the Herald today, John McAreavey's Mauritian lawyer, Dick Sui Wa, said he is confident the trio will find the culprits.

"They are starting afresh, from zero in fact. They will go back and take new statements from witnesses, look at DNA again and come from new angles," he said.

"We have to give them our full confidence. The authorities are moving quickly to get justice for the McAreavey and Harte families," he added.

Well-placed sources in Mauritius said it was "highly likely" that former hotel workers who did not appear at the eight-week trial will now be contacted by the new police team.

It is likely that the new police team will seek to quiz Rajiv Bhujun -- the hotel bellboy who is seen as "crucial" by many to the investigation.


Mr Bhujun was described by the defence as the "first independent witness" to arrive at the scene -- but he is believed to be in either the Middle East or US.

"One of the first things a new police team will do is look to the individuals who were not put in the frame last time. That is common sense," a source explained.

It remains to be seen whether the two men acquitted of the school teacher's murder -- Avinash Treebhoowoon and Sandip Moneea -- will be questioned in connection with the murder.

Although the pair were unanimously cleared by a jury, the country's Prime Minister told the Herald that nothing could be ruled out following an extensive judicial review.

The news that the appointment of the new police chief behind the investigation has been welcomed will come as a relief to the McAreavey and Harte families.

During the trial, the head of the Major Crime Investigation Team, Yoosoof Soopun, admitted that he did not even view crucial CCTV footage from the Legend's Hotel.

Another police officer brought evidence to the trial, at the Supreme Court in Port Louis, in black bin liners.